Abaco, Bahamas is known for its stunning natural beauty, white sand beaches, crystal-clear waters, and rich marine life. It is a popular destination for boating, fishing, and diving enthusiasts, as well as those looking for a laid-back island getaway. The Abaco Islands are also known for their charming Bahamian towns and settlements, including Marsh Harbour, Hope Town, and Man-O-War Cay, which offer a glimpse into the local culture and history of the Bahamas.
Where is Abaco located in the Bahamas?
Abaco is located in the northern part of the Bahamas, northeast of Nassau and east of Florida. It is a group of islands and cays that make up the Abaco Islands, which are part of the larger Bahama archipelago.
What fish can you catch in Abaco?
Abaco, Bahamas is renowned for its diverse marine life, providing a wealth of opportunities for anglers and fishers to catch a variety of fish species, ranging from game fish such as mahi-mahi and marlin to reef fish such as grouper and snapper. We’ve listed the most common fish in Abaco below to give you an idea of what you may see when you’re out on the water!
Common Game Fish in Abaco:
- Mahi-Mahi (Dorado)
- Yellowfin Tuna
- Blue Marlin
- King Mackerel
In addition to these popular game fish, there are also other species of reef fish and bottom-dwellers that you can catch in Abaco, including Triggerfish, Hogfish, and Grunts.
Best Way to Catch Fish in Abaco Bahamas
If you're planning a fishing trip to Abaco, Bahamas, you'll want to know the best techniques and methods to increase your chances of a successful catch. Here are some of the best methods to catch fish in Abaco:
- Deep-sea fishing: Abaco is known for its excellent deep-sea fishing opportunities. We’d recommend hiring a fishing charter to take you out to the open waters where you can catch big game fish like marlin, tuna, and wahoo.
- Bonefishing: Abaco's shallow flats and clear waters provide the perfect habitat for these elusive fish.
- Bottom fishing: Abaco's reefs and underwater structures provide excellent opportunities for bottom fishing. You can catch a variety of reef fish, including snapper, grouper, and triggerfish.
- Fly fishing: Fly fishing is another popular way to catch fish in Abaco. You can fly fish for bonefish, permit, and other species in the shallow flats and mangrove-lined creeks.
No matter what type of fishing you choose, it's important to hire a knowledgeable and experienced guide or charter to help you. This way you can be confident you’ll hit all the best spots, while having a successful (and safe) experience.
Fishing Charters in Abaco Bahamas
Now that you know that a fishing charter is the way to go when you want to fish in Abaco, we will mention some of the top fishing charters in Abaco Bahamas below to help you make an informed decision for your next fishing trip.
- Abaco Off the Charts: customizes full- and half-day trips to a variety of destinations including Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Tahiti Beach, Man-O-War Cay, Guana Cay, Little Harbour, Lynyard Cay and Sandy Cay. Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (242) 242-577-5487.
- Abaco Flyfish Connection & Charters: bonefishing, light tackle reef fishing and other charters. Contact Captain Rick at email@example.com.
- Brendel’s Dive Center & Adventure Tours: offers charters, fishing trips, SCUBA diving and family and fun tours. Call (242) 365-4411 or call or WhatsApp (242) 458-7868 for more information and bookings.
- Hope Town Boat Charters – Fishing Excursions: contact at (242) 577-7309 or firstname.lastname@example.org