Mayaguana is a district and an island in the southeastern Bahamas. It is located in the southernmost part of the Bahamas chain, about 350 miles southeast of the capital city of Nassau.
Mayaguana is a great fishing destination because of its location. The island is situated in an area where the warm Gulf Stream meets the cool Atlantic Ocean, creating a nutrient-rich environment that attracts a wide range of fish species. Below, we’ll dive into the fish you should expect to catch in Mayaguana, the best fishing spots to go, and accommodation options if you’re planning a trip there!
Types of Fish you can catch in Mayaguana
- Tuna: Several species of tuna can be caught in the waters around Mayaguana, including yellowfin, blackfin, and skipjack tuna.
- Marlin: Blue marlin, white marlin, and striped marlin are all found in the waters around Mayaguana
- Wahoo: Wahoo are a popular game fish in the Bahamas and are frequently caught in the waters around Mayaguana.
- Mahi-mahi: Also known as dolphin fish, mahi-mahi are another popular game fish that can be found in the waters surrounding Mayaguana.
- Snapper: There are several types of snapper that can be caught in the waters around Mayaguana, including yellowtail, mangrove, and mutton snapper.
- Grouper: Black grouper, Nassau grouper, and red grouper are all found in the waters around Mayaguana, making it a great location for grouper fishing.
- Bonefish: Mayaguana is also a popular destination for fly fishing, with it’s large schools of bonefish that are found in the island's shallow flats.
Best Fishing Spots in Mayaguana
Mayaguana, Bahamas has many awesome fishing spots, but here are some of the best:
- Northwest Point: Located on the northwestern tip of the island, this spot is known for its deep drop-offs, which attract a variety of game fish such as tuna, marlin, and wahoo.
- Abraham's Bay: This area is known for its calm and shallow waters, making it an ideal location for bonefishing.
- South Point: This spot is known for its strong currents, which bring in large schools of game fish like tuna and wahoo.
- Galloway Landing: This area is known for its variety of fish species, including grouper, snapper, and bonefish.
- Northeast Point: This area is known for its strong currents and deep waters, which attract game fish like marlin and tuna.
- Betsy Bay: This area is known for its calm and shallow waters, which make it an ideal location for bonefishing.
- Pirate's Well: This area is known for its deep waters, which attract a variety of game fish such as marlin, tuna, and wahoo.
If you need a Hawaiian Sling for fishing in Mayaguana, check out the I’A Hawaiian Sling here!
Best Times of Year for Fishing in Mayaguana
The best time to go fishing in Mayaguana definitely depends on the type of fish you want to catch. But the fishing season in the Bahamas is generally year-round, with certain months potentially being better than others for catching specific fish species.
Here is a loose guide to the best times of year for fishing in Mayaguana, including peak seasons for the specific fish listed:
- Tuna: year-round, but more abundant from April - June & from October - December.
- Marlin: best from May - September, peak season in June and July.
- Wahoo: November-March.
- Mahi-mahi: year-round, but peak season from May - September.
- Snapper and grouper: year-round, but more abundant from December - April.
- Bonefish: Bonefishing is best from March to July, peak season in May & June.
Accommodation options in Mayaguana
Since Mayaguana is a small island, it has limited accommodation options, but if you’re visiting, you can still find comfortable and convenient places to stay near the island. We’ve compiled a list of some of these accommodation options below.
Mayaguana Inn: Located in the heart of Abraham's Bay, Mayaguana Inn offers comfortable rooms with air conditioning, private bathrooms, and Wi-Fi. The inn also has an on-site restaurant and bar.
Pirate's Well Resort: This resort is located on the northern coast of the island and offers beachfront accommodations in villas and cottages. Each accommodation has a private bathroom, kitchenette, and air conditioning.
Four Seasons Cottages: These charming cottages are located in Betsy Bay and offer a peaceful and secluded stay. Each cottage has a private bathroom, kitchenette, and Wi-Fi.